Friday, February 3, 2012

Hope in Chaos

Sometimes it seems that inspirational shows or movies are few and far between.  Network and Cable TV is riddled with crime dramas and prime time soap operas that feature a lot of sex and violence.  Trying to find something good and wholesome to watch can be a challenge.  And we can't watch Food Network all day! (Well, I could)

All the TV show streams will be available free on their networks website, and the movies will be available from Netflix streaming. I do not endorse or advocate illegal streams or downloads.

Television Spotlight

A few years ago a show came out on NBC that reinvented the idea of superheroes.  Tim Kring's Heroes for me was one of the most phenomenal TV shows of the last decade, maybe even the last 50 years.  I was quite saddened when it wasn't renewed after it's fourth season.

Well Tim Kring has a new show out on Fox, and it has the potential to be just as phenomenal.  Touch stars Kiefer Sutherland as a father of a mute, autistic boy who sees patterns in the chaos of everyday life, and how those patterns interweave throughout our lives.  As I was watching it for the first time I began thinking to myself "This would make a great movie, but I'm not sure how the writers will be able to sustain a series with it."  All that changed in the last 15 minutes.  I don't want to ruin the show for you, but man...it blew me away.  Find the full pilot of the show HERE.



Netflix  Streaming Spotlight

Normally I would offer a movie along the same themes as our television spotlight, but this week I think we'll watch Heroes.  If you haven't seen it before, all four seasons are available to stream on Netflix.  The basic premise is that mankind is on the edge of an evolutionary shift where some of us are blessed with superhuman abilities.  There's good guys and bad guys, but I haven't really enjoyed a bad guy like Zachary Quinto's portrayal of Sylar since Anthony Hopkin's performance as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.



Netflix streaming services are only $7.99 per month and you receive so much programming between Movies and TV shows it's a great bang for your buck.  (It works out to .26 cents a day)  If you don't already subscribe you can sign up HERE.

Disc Rental Spotlight

The story that started it all, sort of.  In the 1960's Stan Lee created one of his most successful comic book franchises of all time:  X-Men.  Over the years they've seen their ups and downs.  Characters have joined and some have fallen, but at it's core it's a nerd's view of the struggle for civil rights.  Whether you have super powers or are just an ordinary friendly neighborhood guy like myself we can all sympathize with the idea that there's something inside us that makes us different.


Netflix has many different plans available from streaming only ($7.99/month), up to 8 discs at a time + streaming (DVD $51.98/month or Blu-Ray $60.98/month).  I personally get 1 blu-ray at a time + streaming which is $17.98/month).  Keep in mind that I don't get cable or dish and due to where I live am unable to receive any local channels via antenna.  I find that one disc is plenty for my needs, but you may want more or none at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment